March 23, 2011

Sweet, Sweet Sixteen Predictions

The fact that I spent my free time watching rounds 2 and 3 meant I was not able to continue with my predictions. Now that the field is narrowed down I shall re-start blessing the masses with predictions as slick as J-Will's passes.

As usual *winner's in BOLD*

EAST REGION:

1 Ohio State v. 4 Kentucky -- Ohio State came out in the third round and got knocked in the mouth by George Mason and their 11-2 run to start the game. They responded by kicking George Mason in the nuts. Kentucky has a young team and a shallow bench. Potential for disaster: High.

11 Marquette v. 2 North Carolina -- UNC beat out a seriously underrated Washington squad but there were mental errors. Marquette overcame a very talented, very well coached, and very familiar Syracuse team. This should be a close game but I still think the Big East is close to as good as advertised so Marquette should have the grit to pull this one out.

WEST REGION:

1 Duke v. 5 Arizona -- Arizona combined determination and poor refereeing (both ways mind you) to beat out flat footed Texas. Duke narrowly avoided disaster against Michigan. I don't see Duke playing poorly in back to back games under Coach K.

3 UConn v. 2 San Diego State -- San Diego State is not the type of team to blow people out. They grind it out and play ridiculous defense. It could spell danger for them if Kemba Walker gets hot at the wrong time, but I think they can harass him to the point where his legs are tired late in the second half. After all he has been carrying UConn since the beginning of the Big East Tourney.

SOUTHWEST REGION:

1 Kansas v. 12 Richmond -- Any other year this would be an ideal upset pick. But Kansas is playing like they want it this year and when Illinois pushed them and made it 56-51, Kansas responded with a 10-0 run and the final score ended up being 73-59. It just seems like their year with all the upsets in the region.

11 VCU v. 10 Florida State -- I'd like to give myself credit for pointing out in my first round predictions that VCU was out to prove people wrong. I'd also like to pat myself on the back for not heeding my own advice and picking Georgetown to beat them in my brackets. I'm not really sure about this game, but I just can't get behind "Florida State is an Elite Eight caliber team"

SOUTHEAST REGION:

8 Butler v. 4 Wisconsin -- I have Wisconsin in the Final Four so that explains this pick. Butler seems to have EVERYTHING fall their way this year so if you are putting money up, it may be wise to pick with them. Their coach is underrated.

3 BYU v. 2 Florida -- This game really hinges on Jimmer Fredette. If he continues to play out of his mind then they can win every game. If not, then no. Just imagine if BYU didn't suspend the Davies kid.

2 comments:

  1. Dog... Im just happy I didnt do elite eight predictions. would have got all of them wrong.

    ReplyDelete